October is national Campus Sustainability Month
October is Campus Sustainability Month and UMD is celebrating along with hundreds of other campuses across the country. See a list of activities below and check the Sustainability Calendar for more events and details.
Have an event you’d like us to include? Email email@example.com or simply tag us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!
- A Sustainability Model for the Sovereignty of Vulnerable Communities presented by visiting sustainability scholar, Dr. Marcos Algara-Siller. September 29th
- Hear stories of people and their environment near the St. Louis River at a performance of One River, Performances begin Sept 29th – October 8th
- Join Chef Tom and Alyssa Hammitt (UMD Dietitian) for a taste of the fall harvest! Chef Tom will serve samples of a homemade entree made from local food, fresh from the UMD Sustainable Agriculture Farm (SAP). Sponsored by UMD Dining Services. After tasting treats, learn more about the farm from Randy Hanson as he presents the story of SAP and how UMD students are essential in farm planning, growing, and harvesting! October 4th.
- UMD Joyride: join us for a UMD campus bike celebration. Join us from 10am-11:45 for tabling in Kirby Commons, for Fender Blender smoothies and fun! At 11:45 A.M. meet in Bus Hub for a group ride to the Bluestone area – for food and socializing. (Pay for your own.)
- Social Change Through Community Solar in Rural India and Minnesota’s Northland featuring Anshuman Lath, Director of Gram Oojra (“Village Energy”), Kathryn Milun, Solar Commons, and BJ Allen, RREAL–Rural Renewable Energy Alliance. October 13th. More information here.
- Sustainability in business? YES, please. The annual UMD Entrepreneurship Conference will have speakers who have made sustainability a cornerstone of their business model, including Greg Benson from Loll Designs and Tom Hanson from the Duluth Grill. Registration is free, but required for this on-campus event. October 18th.
- Leadership and Sustainable Action at UMD, by Mindy Granley, UMD Sustainability Director- a Kirby Leadership Institute workshop. October 17th
- Fall Sustainability Fair in Kirby Commons (outside UMD Bookstore). October 20th
- Sustainability Awareness Week (SAW) in partnership with area higher education sustainability staff/students. SAW events at UMD will include a S’mores night and a tour at the Natural Resources Research Institute for area students. (Carpool options will be arranged for students to attend events at LSC and FDLTCC.) Watch the UMD Sustainability website for details! October 24-26
- MPIRG will show the documentary “Bear Witness: A Year in the Wilderness” which captures the highlights of Dave and Amy Freeman, who spent the past year living in the Boundary Waters to promote the need for its protection.October 24th.
- Participate in a campus-wide Trash Audit– details coming soon!