If you are ready to move out and have too many belongings to take with you, UMD provides many options to get rid of stuff. As you pack up, consider what can be donated to the community, swapped with your friends, or sold for cash!
There are two active sites on Facebook for swapping or selling your items, just for the UMD campus community:
UMD is partnering with Goodwill Duluth to help you reduce your unwanted household items. Your donation of gently used clothing, furniture and other household goods helps support Goodwill’s mission of job creation for people with disabilities right here in the Northland.
Goodwill will have two blue bins available (for clothing and small, household items) to the campus community. These will be on campus from Tuesday, May 13 through Sunday, May 18 at two locations:
- Bus Hub
- Library Entrance
Additionally, blue bins will be located in several residence hall locations during finals week, including the Ianni Hall lobby, the Lake Superior Hall lobby, Burntside Lobby, Vermillion Lobby, and the PQ conference area.
A full donation trailer (for larger furniture, clothing and small household items) in Maroon Lot A:
Thursday, May 15 through Saturday, 17
Thursday, May 29 through Sunday, June 1
The trailer can only accept donations between 11am and 6pm
Goodwill needs clothing for all seasons in good condition, glassware and dishware, kitchen utensils and small appliances, linens, blankets, rugs and curtains; collectibles, shoes, toys, games, sporting equipment, jewelry, tools and books. No electronic waste please. Visit Goodwill Duluth for more information on acceptable items.
Do you have tons of stuff, but don’t have a way to get it to campus? Goodwill is willing to do individual home pick-ups if you have large quantities of items in good condition. Call 218-722-6351, Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm.
The program will be available, by appointment only, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the following days:
Thursday, May 15 and Friday, May 16
Tuesday, May 27 through Friday, May 30
• Only current UMD Students are eligible
• By appointment only with minimum 24-hour advance notice. There are a limited number of appointments per day
• Pickups are for furniture and other household goods too large for normal garbage or recycling services
• Limited to students living near campus (East and North of Downtown), with no pickups on campus. This program is for UMD student renters, not homeowners or landlords.
• All items must be at the curbside for pickup by 8 a.m. on the day of pickup, not overnight
• Come to Facilities Management (241 Darland) to pick up a plastic bag to cover your items
• Electronics such as microwaves, computers, televisions and appliances such as washers, dryers and dishwashers are acceptable for pickup
• No refrigerators, freezers or air conditioners
• No hazardous materials, chemicals, food, garbage, or refuse
• Cancellations require 24-hour notice
To make an appointment or for more information, call UMD Facilities Management at 218-726-8262. Be prepared to provide name, UMD Student ID number, address, phone number and a detailed description of the item(s) being picked up.
Need to Get Rid of a Bike?
Contact UMD’s Bike to Campus program (email or call 218-726-6203), and you can either drop off your bike, or we will arrange to pick up your bike (within two miles of campus). Bikes will be reconditioned and rolled into the UMD Buck-a-Bike rental program, sold back to the campus community or donated to the Bike Cave Collective, a charity to get bikes into the hands of kids.
If you live on campus, look for the Blue Bins in Residence Halls: There will be blue bins for Goodwill donations located in various locations around the residence halls.