Spring 2015 Move-out information is updated below!
Ready to move out and have too many belongings to take with you? UMD provides many options to get rid of stuff. As you pack up, consider what can be donated to the community, swapped with your friends, or sold for cash! Simply follow the three steps below!
There are two Facebook sites for swapping or selling your items, just for the UMD campus community:
Live Off Campus?
Goodwill will have Big Blue Bins on campus to collect clothing, household items, and small furniture from the campus community. These will be on campus from Thursday May 14 through Monday June 1. Big Blue Bins will be in these three locations:
- Kirby Student Center Bus Hub
- Kathryn A. Martin Library campus entrance
- Lobby of the “Campus Park Shuttle” pick-up area
Goodwill needs clothing for all seasons in good condition, glassware and dishware, kitchen utensils and small appliances, linens, blankets, rugs and curtains; collectibles, shoes, toys, games, sporting equipment, jewelry, tools and books. No electronic waste please. Visit Goodwill Duluth for more information on acceptable items.
Have tons of stuff, but no way to get it to campus? Goodwill is willing to do individual home pick-ups if you have large quantities of items in good condition. Call 218-722-6351.
Live On Campus?
UMD Housing and Residence Life is providing boxes to donate your clothing, small appliances, and leftover food to CHUM, Damiano Center and Champ’s Cupboard! Look for boxes in these locations:
- Burntside lobby (Sophie’s Concourse)
- Griggs PQ entrance
- Griggs RS entrance
- Ianni lobby
- Lake Superior lobby
- Vermilion entrance (Sophie’s Concourse)
The program will be available, by appointment only, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the following days:
Daily from Tuesday May 12 through Friday May 15
Daily from Tuesday 26 through Friday, May 29
• Only current UMD Students are eligible
• By appointment only with minimum 24-hour advance notice. There are a limited number of appointments per day
• Pickups are for furniture and other household goods too large for normal garbage or recycling services
• Limited to students living near campus (East and North of Downtown), with no pickups on campus. This program is for UMD student renters, not homeowners or landlords.
• All items must be at the curbside for pickup by 8 a.m. on the day of pickup, not overnight
• Come to Facilities Management (241 Darland) to pick up a plastic bag to cover your items
• Electronics such as microwaves, computers, televisions and appliances such as washers, dryers and dishwashers are acceptable for pickup
• No refrigerators, freezers or air conditioners
• No hazardous materials, chemicals, food, garbage, or refuse
• Cancellations require 24-hour notice
To make an appointment or for more information, call UMD Facilities Management at 218-726-8262. Be prepared to provide name, UMD Student ID number, address, phone number and a detailed description of the item(s) being picked up.
Need to Get Rid of a Bike?
Contact UMD’s Bike to Campus program (email or call 218-726-6203), and you can either drop off your bike. Bikes will be reconditioned and rolled into the UMD Buck-a-Bike rental program, sold back to the campus community, or donated to the Bike Cave Collective, a charity to get bikes into the hands of kids.