Ready to move out and have too many belongings to take with you? There are many options to get rid of your stuff in a sustainable manner. As you pack up, consider what can be donated to the community, swapped with your friends, or sold for cash! Simply follow the three steps below!
Giving away or selling your stuff is a great way to reuse. Whether you want to arrange a garage sale, sell on Craigslist, or post your stuff on social media…we encourage REUSE! In fact, there are two Facebook sites for swapping or selling your items, just for the UMD campus community:
Live Off Campus?
Goodwill will host big Blue Bins on campus to collect clothing, household items, and small furniture from the campus community. For 2016, the Blue Bins will be on campus from Friday, April 29th through Friday May 6th, and Monday, May 9th through Friday May 13th.
Blue Bin locations:
- Kirby Student Center Bus Hub
- Kathryn A. Martin Library campus entrance
NEW: Goodwill now has a drop-off location for donations in Kenwood, right next to Erberts and Gerberts in the Kenwood Shopping Plaza. The drop-off door is in the back of the building, just ring the bell to drop-off between Monday through Friday, from 9 AM until 7 PM.
Goodwill needs clothing for all seasons in good condition, glassware and dishware, kitchen utensils and small appliances, linens, blankets, rugs and curtains; collectibles, shoes, toys, games, sporting equipment, jewelry, tools and books. No electronic waste please. Visit Goodwill Duluth for more information on acceptable items.
Have tons of stuff, but no way to get it to campus? Goodwill is willing to do individual home pick-ups if you have large quantities of items in good condition. Call 218-722-6351.
Live On Campus?
UMD Housing and Residence Life is providing boxes to donate your clothing, small appliances, and leftover food to CHUM, Damiano Center and Champ’s Cupboard! Look for bins in these locations:
- Burntside lobby
- Griggs EF entrance
- Griggs PQ entrance
- Griggs RS entrance
- Ianni lobby
- Lake Superior Hall lobby
- Vermilion lounge (near 111-115)
- Goldfine B lobby
- Heaney central entrance
- Junction A & B lobbies.
- Oakland A lobby
- Oakland B lobby
The program will be available, by appointment only, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the following days:
- May 3rd through 6th
- May 9th and 10th
- May 26th and 27th
- May 31st – June 1st
Guidelines for furniture pick-up:
• Only current UMD Students are eligible
• By appointment only with minimum 24-hour advance notice. There are a limited number of appointments per day
• Pickups are for furniture and other household goods too large for normal garbage or recycling services
• Limited to students living near campus (East and North of Downtown), with no pickups on campus. This program is for UMD student renters, not homeowners or landlords.
• All items must be at the curbside for pickup by 8 a.m. on the day of pickup, not overnight
• Come to Facilities Management (241 Darland) to pick up a plastic bag to cover your items
• Electronics such as microwaves, computers, televisions and appliances such as washers, dryers and dishwashers are acceptable for pickup
• No refrigerators, freezers or air conditioners
• No hazardous materials, chemicals, food, garbage, or refuse
• Cancellations require 24-hour notice
To make an appointment or for more information, call UMD Facilities Management at 218-726-8262. Be prepared to provide name, UMD Student ID number, address, phone number and a detailed description of the item(s) being picked up.
Contact UMD’s Bike to Campus program (email or call (218)726-8743), and you can either drop off your bike. Bikes will be reconditioned and rolled into the UMD Buck-a-Bike rental program, sold back to the campus community, or donated to the Bike Cave Collective, a charity to get bikes into the hands of kids.